Braces can help realign your teeth and make for a nice smile, but even so many people want to get them off as soon as possible. There are several things you can do to help keep your mouth clean and help let your braces do the work they need to. Some things you can do to help your get your braces off as soon as possible include:
- Keep your mouth clean. Better dental hygiene can allow your teeth to move into the correct position quicker, and shorten the wearing time for your braces.
- Chop up solid food. Cut up foods such as raw fruits and vegetables and hard-crusted bread into bite-sized pieces to reduce pressure on braces during eating.
- Don’t chew on anything but food. Chewing on objects such as pens and straws can damage braces and result in added time at the orthodontist’s office.
- Don’t push your teeth out of line. Activities such as biting your nails and playing with your elastics can prolong the amount of time you have to wear braces. Kick those nervous habits.
- Don’t eat hard, sticky or sugary foods, or drink fizzy beverages. Avoid foods such as popcorn, nuts, chips, bubblegum, toffee, caramels and cookies. And don't chew on ice cubes or drink soda pop. All of these things can damage braces and/or cause tooth decay.