Overall, people with braces should avoid hard, chewy, crunchy, and sticky foods. Avoiding foods you like may not be fun, but eating things that you're not supposed to eat can cause broken wires or brackets. These can not only be painful, but can actually prolong treatment. In other words, break the rules and you could be stuck with your braces for even longer.
Do not eat:
- Caramel and gooey chocolate bars
- Very sticky or chunky peanut butter
- Hard candies
- Chewy candy, taffy, and gummy bears
Use caution when eating:
- Chewy bread such as bagels – tear into small pieces
- Chips – eat them carefully and one at a time
- Corn on the cob – cut off the cob
- Apples and carrots – cut into small pieces
- Soda and sugary drinks – avoid these whenever possible, as drinking too much can cause tooth decay
Finally, don't chew on any hard items such as ice, pens, pencils, or fingernails.